Sunday, April 5, 2015

Family First and Nicole

About a year or so ago I started a little saying with Kristen. It's really simple. One of us will say to the other, "family first" and then we fist pump each other. It's our way of reminding each other that we play on the same team and we do our best to look out for one another, to protect the family. If you know me at all, you know that I am a huge New York Yankees fan. My favorite player was Derek Jeter (number 2, Derek Je-tah, number 2; in my Bob Sheppard voice). I'll never forget watching games when Jeter had a clutch hit or made a great defensive play. Without fail, the camera would always find Charles and Dorothy Jeter. It seemed like they were always there cheering for their son. They were present. They were visible. They were supporting their son.

This past Valentine's Day Kristen got me a book, "Jeter Unfiltered." I started reading the book that night and came to a chapter entitled 'Family First.' This is what Derek Jeter said,
"It's simple: I wouldn't be who I am today if it wasn't for my family. You have to have a good support group, regardless of your profession. If you have any level of success or any level of failure, you have to have a network of people to lean on and count on." 

What does family first mean? Read what Jeter said again. It means you've got each other's back. It means you stand when they can't. It means you love without condition. It means, family first.

Just yesterday Kristen was in a nail salon getting a pedicure. The nail tech asked her when the baby was due. Kristen told her Tuesday. There happened to be a lady sitting in the chair next to Kristen, she asked what the baby's name was. Kristen, of course, told her Truett. The lady reached her hand out to Kristen's hand and said, "we have been praying for your baby." She didn't even know Kristen's name (she asked for it later so they could pray for her by name as well). Please hear my heart and do not misunderstand me, we desperately need your prayers. But, Truett's life and story has not only impacted us, he has also impacted our family. Our parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins are also affected.

Our family has been nothing short of amazing during this journey. We are still children to parents and our parents still have children. Anniston is not yet two years old so I have not seen her faced with difficult situations. I'm not sure how I'd respond only that if my child hurts, I hurt. I don't want us to forget about our family.

Today, day 5, I'm asking you to pray for our parents (David & Donna; Gloria; Harry & JoAnn) and the rest of our family. They have all helped us tremendously! We would not have made it this far without them.

"Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others" (Philippians 2:3-4).

PLEASE CONTINUE READING BELOW...

Yesterday evening our community received some devastating news. Our friends Jordan and Nicole Callais were in the hospital awaiting the arrival of their little boy, Gadsden Nehemiah. Soon after his birth, Nicole experienced some very serious problems. Apparently, Nicole experienced an 'amniotic fluid embolism.' I don't want to speculate at other details as I do not know them with certainty. Please take time to pray for Nicole's healing and comfort her husband, Jordan; daughter, Chloe; and son, Gadsden Nehemiah. Everyone with Team Truett is praying for a miraculous and speedy recovery for you Nicole! Family First!!

2 comments:

  1. Continuing to pray for all of you 💗

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughts and prayers to all family's involved

    ReplyDelete